Welcome to the Ocean Beach California VW Bus report. This is the ongoing trip, maintenance, and upgrade log for our 1976 VW Camper. The intent is to track the progress of "Independence" and to meet other local VW enthusiasts.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Out of Gas

I drove Indy into work today.

She had a bit of an issue going up the hill out of Mission Valley -- a little bit like sputtering and flooring didn't seem to help. I thought nothing of it while at the same time considered getting gas. But I was a running late and so figured I'd do that on the way home.

I went to Tai Chi after work. And didn't get gas before heading home. Indy didn't want to drive. Down shifting didn't help. Flooring the gas pedal didn't seem to help. But then she'd regain power. I made it onto the freeway but then she really started floundering. I think I made it off the exit ramp at 20mph and a few mad drivers behind me.

"Well," said Bob, "I think I'll pull into the gas station and hope something magic happens." I fill her up just because that's a good thing to do while waiting for the engine to cool. Not knowing what else to do, I try starting her. She powers out of the station without any fluttering. She makes it down the first block, then the second, without wheezing and asking for a break or slowing down without asking permission.

Best guess: out of gas and running on fumes.

She made it home running like a brand new bus.

No comments: