Welcome to the Ocean Beach California VW Bus report. This is the ongoing trip, maintenance, and upgrade log for our 1976 VW Camper. The intent is to track the progress of "Independence" and to meet other local VW enthusiasts.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Home repairs

AutoZone has a really nice "loaner" program. You can "borrow" a tool -- such as a steering wheel puller -- and return it when you are done for a full refund. That's the good news. The bad news is the puller didn't really fit Indy. Luckily the steering wheel basically flew off anyway.

The steering wheel was step #1 of replacing the turn signal switch. The repair manual made it seem simple. However, in the process of tearing the steering wheel apart I decided I wasn't ready for a 5 hour task and the very likely chance it wouldn't work and so I reassembled the existing bit. A picture here would be great but doesn't exist. The steering wheel went back together and still turns the wheels.

The previous owner had done a ducttape repair job on the turn signal switch. Instead of buying a new part, he put his own mechanical switch on the end and messed with the wiring to get it to work. Lots of electrical tape. After my first attempt today, I think 4+ hours and I could have undone his work and installed the new one. But I needed a simpler task.

Like... replacing the glove box. We had one of those horrible cardboard ones. I had a plastic replacement waiting for 6 months. I put in the new one. The only problem was a stripped screw holding the dash in place and I needed another 1/2 inch in order to fasten the glove box into place. I went to a longer screw. it should hold. And I need to remember to connect a few loose wires.

End result -- 3 hours in the sun, clean carpets, new glove box, and confidence that I can get the steering wheel off again someday. Now, do I return the SWP now or soon. But first, how about a trip to the dog park!

No comments: